CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
CRIME AND PUNISHMENT: Crime is when you break the law. Punishment is something that is done to control a person when he commits crime. It varies from crime to crime (example- fine is the minor punishment).
Police and Crime Prevention:
- The job of the polices is to catch criminals. Thus, to prevent crime and make communities safer.
- There should be an increase in the number of police officers on the streets.
- Police officers should be seen as part of the community.
- They should educate the general public and create awareness.
- The police should be in close contact with schools. They should focus on young people who have dropped out of school. Thus, these teenagers can become part of gangs.
Men and Women in law enforcement (police)
- a) There should be equal representation of men and women in law enforcement.
- b) Female individuals must be disciplined and regulated by female constable. It will reduce harassment
and cherish equality.
Prisons VS Rehabilitation
Prison is a place where criminals are kept, far away from the society.
Rehabilitation is a practice, in which criminals change into good citizens by teaching them ethics, norms and vocational skills (like welding, plumbing, carpentry, etc), so that when they come out of jail they can have a good life by earning livelihood rather than committing crimes again.
Benefits of rehabilitation
- Individuals can support their families after coming out of the jail by working instead of committing crime again.
- Criminals change into good citizens so that they can have a social status and stability in their lives.
- Fines are used as punishment for minor crimes.
- If the crime is more serious, prison is the most common punishment.
- Some criminals pose a threat to society, they are put in prison to ensure the safety of other citizens.
Negatives of Prisons:
- Criminals are far away from their family and friends, thus causes mental issues.
- Many prisoners re-offend when they are out of prisons, if they do not pass through rehabilitation..
- A criminal record makes finding a job more difficult. Ultimately, society does not accept them.
Capital punishment VS other type of punishment
Capital punishment is a type of punishment in which criminals are sentenced to death. It is for major crimes like murders.
Against Capital Punishment:
- Killing someone does not kill the crime itself. Crime can only be reduced if authorities teach them ethics, norms and values. Therefore, change them into better person.
- Crime rates do not decrease with capital punishment.
- Capital punishment is not a good deterrent as death is the escape from suffering.
- Executing prisoners prompts violence and no one has ant right to take another human life.
Other type of punishment:
- By imposing fine for minor crimes such as crossing traffic light, over speeding, etc.
- By isolating (confining) the individuals for a particular period of time, where they can improve themselves through rehabilitation.
Criminals- What makes a criminal?
- Lack of proper guidance and parenting.
- Lack of formal education.
- When individuals are not accepted in society due to their social, economic and political instability.
- Peer pressure and bad elements.
Major VS Minor crimes
- Major crimes include murder, terrorism, human trafficking.
- Criminal is sentenced to death.
- Minor crimes include stealing, breaking traffic lights, bullying.
- Criminals are kept in prison and have to fine.
- Community service is a way to reform offenders.
- It could be a solution to prison overcrowding.
- It avoids the cost of imprisonment.
- It makes offenders useful in their local communities.
- They help to clean streets or talk to school groups.
- Offenders repay their community.
- They avoid the negative influence that prison can have.
Against Community Service:
- Community service is not a sufficient punishment
- Criminals should be locked up, away from their victims
Crime and Technology
- Digitalization and technology is increasing the level of crime day by day, such as online frauds, money extortion, spams, privacy breach etc. Criminals can steal the valuable information like bank details, passwords and pins. And further they can use it to steal money. Moreover, criminals can extort money by morphing the photos and videos. This makes the victim mentally stressed and leads to mental harassment. Therefore, these cases may lead to the suicide of the victims.
- Technology provides a platform to criminals where they can interact or coordinate to commit a crime. Being at one place, criminals can contact with others criminals through their cell phones. And due to the advancement in the technology, criminals are using devices by which they are hard to track. Thus, this gives them privilege to commit crimes.
Crime in the Media:
- Crime is one of the main subjects of most news programs.
- The mass media focus on violent and sensational crimes
- This leads to fear of crime among the public
- Sensational stories attract more viewers or readers
- The media report crime stories in order to increase their audience
Teenagers and crime
Teenagers lack experience and maturity which leads them to become part of crime or criminal activities.
NOTE: Glorification of crimes in songs and movies brainwashes the teenagers and hence they become part of crime and start getting attracted towards bad elements.
- Some people think certain prisoners should be made to do unpaid community work instead of being put behind bars.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
2. The crime rate nowadays is decreasing as compared to the past due to advance technology which can prevent and solve crime.
Do you agree or disagree?
3. Many criminals commit further crimes as soon as they released from prison.
What do you think are the causes of this?
What possible solutions can you suggest?
4. It is often thought that the increase in juvenile crime can be attributed to violence in the media.
Do you agree that this is the main cause of juvenile crime?
What solutions can you offer to deal with this situation?