IELTS Common Essay Topic – PHYSICAL HEALTH AND ISSUES RELATED TO IT
Difference between physical and mental health
Physical health is related to problems like obesity, excess fat loss, bad posture, etc. whereas mental health focuses on stress, depression and anxiety.
Modern lifestyle VS Traditional lifestyle
Modern lifestyle: – In Modern lifestyle, people are using more automatic machines for daily works. Be it in fields, homes, etc. Moreover, nowadays many people are having white collars jobs which do not involve much physical works. Furthermore, many people want live a luxurious life and many families have house helpers and maids at their homes, which further prevent the physical activities.
Traditional lifestyle: – In Traditional lifestyle, there no automation. People used to work at home physically. Like washing clothes, grinding wheat, etc. Moreover, their main occupation was farming. So people used to work in fields by themselves.
NOTE: – With increase in machines and automation, the physical activity of individuals is decreasing day by day.
Why has health deteriorated?
- a) Health gets deteriorated because more focus is on work and less attention is given to the needs of the body.
- b) Irregular meals.
- c) Less physical activities.
Why exercise in important?
Exercise is very important for a person irrespective of his/her occupation. By doing exercise regularly for certain period of time, a person can be healthy. It can prevent obesity which is the main cause of many health problems like bad cholesterol, BP fluctuation, heart attack etc. Moreover, regular exercise can reduce stress and anxiety. A person can be fit physically as well as mentally.
How food has changed????
1) Invention of fast food:
Nowadays, many people are having full times jobs due to which they don’t have much time for cooking food. As a result, they buy fast foods from the nearby shops. Moreover, fast food is more convenient and its outlets are easily available at every place.
Since, the population is increasing day by day the demand for food is also increasing. This forces the sellers of food to sell adulterated food. Moreover, it is business strategy of many vendors and retailers to make more profit.
- a) Eating unhealthy food can cause obesity.
- b) People with full time jobs do not have much time for exercise and they neglect their health.
- c) Some people suffer from eating disorders and they either eat too much that they become obese or they starve themselves.
- d) Many do not have much knowledge about the food items. And they keep on eating foods which is high in fat content.
How can this be controlled?
- a) Awareness campaign: – Government and private NGOs can do awareness campaigns to make people aware of various health issues.
- b) Government should impose more tax on the fast foods manufacturing companies.
- c) Government should provide public gyms in every colony so that people should feel motivated and inspired to do basic exercises easily.
Importance of balanced diet:
- The human body requires a balanced diet
- An unhealthy diet can cause various health problems
- Obesity, diabetes and heart disease are on the increase
- Many people nowadays rely on fast food or pre-prepared meals
- These foods often contain too much fat, salt and sugar
- They are cheap to buy and very easy to prepare
- Many young people have grown up on a diet of convenience foods
- Populations in developed countries are increasingly overweight.
- Governments have a significant role to play in reducing obesity
- More and more people, including young children are seriously overweight
- They are at risk of heart disease and diabetes
- This situation will increase the burden on hospitals and taxpayers
- Hospitals rely on the government for money and resources
- Governments should promote a healthy diet and regular exercise
- There should be more time for sports on school timetables
- Unhealthy junk food should be banned from school menus
- People need information about what foods contain
- Food packaging must show the food’s nutritional content
- The government should recommend eating five portions of fruit and vegetables per day.
State Health System: Advantages
- Good healthcare should be available to everyone for free
- State healthcare is paid by the government using money from taxes
- Everyone has access to the same quality of care and treatment
- Private healthcare is unfair because only wealthy people can afford it
- The National Health Service in the UK provides free healthcare for every resident.
Private Healthcare: Advantages
- State hospitals are often very large and difficult to run
- Private hospitals have shorter waiting lists for operations and appointments
- Patients can benefit from faster treatment
- Many people prefer to pay for a personal service
- Patients have their own room and more comfortable facilities.
Alternative Medicine: Positives
- People are increasingly using alternative medicines to treat illnesses
- For example, acupuncture can be useful to treat backache
- Herbal medicines can be used to treat allergies or viruses
- Many patients report positive experiences with these treatments
- Some traditional cures have been used for hundreds of years.
Alternative Medicine: Negatives
- Many alternative medicines have not been tested scientifically
- They may have no beneficial effect at all
- They may cause unknown side effects
- People should trust the opinions of qualified doctors
- An illness could get worse without treatment from a doctor.
- Modern lifestyles are increasingly stressful
- People work long hours with strict deadlines
- Our busy lifestyles mean we have less time to relax
- Unemployment is a major cause of stress
- Children may be affected by their parents’ relationship problems
- Tests and exams can also cause stress.
How to Reduce Stress:
- Stress can be reduced by taking regular exercise and eating a healthy diet
- It is also important to get sufficient sleep and make leisure time a priority
- People should work less overtime and take regular holidays
- Schools have started to employ psychologists
- They can offer emotional support to students
- They can help students to cope with exam stress
- Many manufactured food and drink products contain high levels of sugar, which causes many health problems. Sugary products should be made more expensive to encourage people to consume less sugar. Do you agree or disagree?
- In some countries the average weight of people is increasing and their levels of health and fitness are decreasing. What do you think are the causes of these problems and what measures could be taken to solve them?
- Some people say that the best way to improve public health is by increasing the number of sports facilities. Others, however, say that this would have little effect on public health and that other measures are required. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
- The number of overweight children in developed countries is increasing. Some people think this is due to problems such as the growing number of fast food outlets. Others believe that parents are to blame for not looking after their children’s health. To what extent do you agree or disagree with these views?
- Many claim that the fast food industry had a negative effect on the eating habits and personality of the individuals. To what extent do you agree and disagree?
IELTS Common Essay Topic – PHYSICAL HEALTH AND ISSUES RELATED TO IT